09 Feb Breadfruit Marinade “Escabeche de Pana”
- 1 breadfruit peeled and cut into medium pieces
- 1 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of white vinegar
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 white onions cut into medium slices
- 8 peppercorns
- 2 tsp Cooking with my Doctor Sazón
Cook the breadfruit in boiling water with salt until fully cooked. Cook the onions, peppercorns,
and the bay leaves in olive oil over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes until translucent. Add
vinegar and cook for 10 more minutes. Add the breadfruit and let it cool. Can be served
immediately or leave it in the refrigerator for 24 hours for more intense flavor.
Benefits of breadfruit:
Breadfruit is a versatile food with a very good flavor. It provides nutritional benefits, such as
antioxidants, isoflavonoids, phytonutrients, and minerals. It also contains vitamins A, C, E, K, B6
niacin, folic acid, and minerals such as potassium, magnesium, and manganese. On the other
hand, its high content of vitamin C helps to absorb iron easily.
Also, you need to know…
- The breadfruit root extract is used to cure diarrhea and to control fever.
- It helps respiratory system in patients with asthma.
- Its antioxidants protect vision.
- Protects the immune system, thanks to the vitamin C.
- Protects against cancer thanks to the high content of antioxidants and flavonoids.
- Its antioxidants protect the body from free radicals that generate cell oxidation prior to the
development of cancer cells. Breadfruit also contains fatty acids that help to eliminate the effect
of toxins in the colon, preventing cancer in that area.
- It contains laxative properties that help digestion and prevent constipation.
- The breadfruit provides vitamin A, which has a great impact on eyes health and protect against
the degeneration of the retina.
- Contains high levels of calcium that promote the health of bones and joints, and prevent