Our twist on this traditional French recipe made with wild mushrooms for extra nutrients and flavor. Topped with toasted baguette bread and melted gruyère cheese, this recipe is a perfect comfort meal without the guilt!
4 yellow onions, sliced into onion rings
2 cups of fresh, wild mushrooms, chopped
1/4 cup of butter
2 quarts of organic beef broth
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon of fresh oregano
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 tablespoons of flour
2 sprigs of thyme
1 cup of red wine Salt and pepper to taste
1 pound of water toasts of fresh bread sliced
1/2 pound of Gruyère cheese (you can substitute for Mozzarella)
- Brown the onions in the butter over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, thyme, oregano, bay leaf and continue cooking until the onions are caramelized, for about 20 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook for 5 minutes until the wine is completely reduced.
- Add the flour and continue stirring until the flour is completely cooked, for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, raise the temperature and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the chard. Season to taste with salt and pepper. To serve the soup, put a slice of bread in a baking dish, add the soup and put cheese on the surface. Put in the oven at 400 degrees until the cheese is melted.