Cooking with my Doctor’s twist on the traditional Puertorrican mofongo recipe – made with wholesome ingredients! This delicious recipe with pickeled pigeon peas, pork rinds and fresh cilantro will be a delight to your taste buds!
1 pana, peeled and cut into medium pieces
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup of pork rinds
1 teaspoon salt
Pickled Gandules (or pigeon peas)
1 cup of gandules, softened
1/8 cup of red onion, finely chopped
1/8 cup of green bell pepper, finely chopped
1/8 cup of sweet peppers, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 coriander leaf, finely chopped
1/8 cup of cilantro, finely chopped
1 bay leaf}
1/4 cup of olive oil
1/8 cup white vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Process of Pickled Gandules
1) Mix all the ingredients in a glass container.
Let marinate for 12 hours before serving. Process for Pana Mofongo:
1) Cook the pana in boiling water until soft (for about 20 minutes)
2) Remove from the water and let sit for about 15 minutes.
3) In a hot pan, add olive oil and brown the pieces of pana individually.
4) Mash pork rinds, garlic, salt and add pana and olive oil.
5) Mash until everything is incorporated and add more salt if necessary.
6) Top with Pickled Gandules and enjoy!